So I fell off the face of this earth for a while for a bunch of reasons some of which include parenting stress over hockey tryouts, everyday life, work, soul-sucking trash TV and Harry Potter. Most have been perfectly enjoyable – some inexplicable. At any rate, let’s see if we can get back on track and make this a more regular gig, huh?
So, my quick ups and downs:
1. Youth sports = panic attack. Right now in this category I just hate people. It’s amazing what happens to you when your kid pours his heart out (or in our case, gets embarassed/shy/no-one-quite-knows-why-he-clams-up) to try and make a team. It’s the closest thing I’ve seen to demonic possession.
2. Harry Potter = best time ever. Reading a good book is a lot like meditating for me. I get so immersed in the fictional world that if I’m interrupted a quick mental comeback isn’t always possible and I often get a little cranky. I really need to apologize to my family for the moods and lack of interest in anything real that I experienced during the week it took to finish the book.
3. Wil Wheaton and Neil Gaiman = both make me laugh out loud at work consistently. Love em!
4. TV in the Summer = tragic. What happened to reruns? I’m over every exec’s “reality” and I’m tired of the sacrifice – I get sucked in all the time! I don’t know what’s wrong. I really don’t need to see how dorky guys manage to pick up girls by taking advantage of the drunk and stupid (thanks VH-1) and I didn’t really need to know why Bret Michaels always wears a bandana (yep, you know you watched at least one episode). Make it stop!
5. VIP tickets to a punk show = sometimes I’m okay with being a hypocrite. Honestly, I think I’m just getting too old to deal with crowds and people and inconvenience that come with the Warped Tour. This year we had VIP tickets for EVERYTHING (front row tables in the amphitheater, bar, lounge, restrooms) and I loved every minute. It made things so much easier. Good music, good crowds, good company. What more could you want!
6. Charlaine Harris = rocks. Yep, I’ll say it again. And I’m totally excited that TrueBlood got picked up on HBO (thanks, Brooke).
Right now I’m enjoying so many things. But, at the same time, I’m also realizing that the summer’s winding down and that time continues to pass too quickly no matter how much I try to cram in. Sigh…