After the storm – Trying to fit back into the “real” world

IMG_0231I was on vacation last week.  We were scheduled to have all the kids home, finally.  Nyah was just back after 3 weeks at her “mother’s” house.  At the last minute I decided to take the week off of work, pull the kids out of camp and just hang out.

It was the best decision I could have made.

It doesn’t feel like we did much.  I had a grand list of things I wanted to spend time doing – catching up on the blog, sewing and starting some new craft ideas.  I wanted to do all sorts of stuff with the kids, too.  We were going to picnic and play and go explore the parks.  Then the weather report came out that it was going to be the hottest week of the summer.  Next, we decided to finish some things inside the house and came home with 5 gallons of paint from Lowe’s.  You might know where the story goes from there….

Today I’m sitting at my desk TRYING to get back on my work computer.  Thankfully I can ease back into the 200+ emails waiting for me in the corporate ether by working from home.  I’m logged in – everything’s working.  Yet here I am with a tear in my eye typing a blog post.

The week was fantastic.  I did manage to paint our kitchen.  We didn’t get to do much outside of the house.  For the first time since our vacation last year, though, all my kids got to spend an entire week together playing and swimming and just being HOME.  And I got to just be home, too, for what feels like the first time in years. (Sure we have time off a lot and we go on vacation but I rarely ever get to just be mom, home with the kids, taking care of the house and doing fun stuff.)  We played games and hung out.  All of the kids got along – for the entire week!

We finished off the weekend with a bang, taking the little ones to a car show with live music at nearby Yorktown Lanes.  We managed to get in some bowling and checked out a couple of bands (friends Scoliosis Jones and a new band for us, The Torments).  On Sunday the whole family was back together.  The kids and I playing more games while Bryan squeezed out a couple of hours of work and then we added to the family membership collection with a purchase at the Western Reserve Historical Society.  We spent the afternoon walking around the amazing pool and sculpture garden at the art museum and we even managed to play MORE games before the evening was out.

Now here I am.  Jayden was picked up at 5PM yesterday.  Bryan left for work at 6:30AM and won’t be home before 7PM.  I dropped Nyah off at camp at 7:20AM today.  I’ve been logged onto my work computer for an hour now and I can’t bring myself to open my email.  Thankfully, Dylan is home today.

I’m a sad mama.  I miss my family and I’m not ready to go back.


About Mama's a Mess

Who am I and what am I doing here? Well, at the end of the day I'm a mother and a wife, a lover of classic monster movies and comic books, of music, TV and movies. I'm a sucker for pop culture. I'm a fangirl. I'm an artist. As my husband always puts it, "Baby, you're a mess!" I have a penchant for creating and collecting. I feed my brain with a mix of anything from hot rods and pin-ups to handmade and natural. I like to dig in the dirt and grow things but sometimes picture myself doing it like Donna Reed. I will always, always choose to wear a dress first. I am head over heels in love with my husband and have a fantastically crazy life with him. Follow all our adventures and musings on our blog at Twitter: @mamasamess Pinterest & Polyvore: mamasamess
This entry was posted in Mama's a Mess, Relationship & Family and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s